Category: Centennial Displays


  • The Holly Schoolhouse Opens 1922 – Centennial Party Display

    The Holly Schoolhouse Opens 1922 – Centennial Party Display

    Opened in September 1922 It is a handsome shingled symmetrical building with a bell tower, two classrooms with soaring ceilings, a dozen tall windows, a coat room, a library, running water, a furnace in the basement and a cottage for the teacher right next door.  It is quite a change from the previous two buildings…

    Read more

  • Holly’s Founding Families – Centennial Party Display

    Holly’s Founding Families – Centennial Party Display

    From its earliest days, Holly attracts independent and resourceful people who make the best of what they have and look out for one another.   The Homestead Act of 1862 enables Robert Wyatt, the first settler of European descent, to obtain 145 acres of land in Holly. Those founding families who follow turn to the natural…

    Read more

  • The Holly Community Club Years – Centennial Party Display

    The Holly Community Club Years – Centennial Party Display

    In 1947, after the Holly Schoolhouse was closed, the Central Kitsap School District deeded the Holly School building and grounds to the community on the condition they maintain it.   Hence, the Holly Community Club was born and the Schoolhouse became its home. It obtained its Articles of Incorporation from Washington State on July 8, 1947.  …

    Read more

  • Acknowledging Larry Stever, Family Roots

    Acknowledging Larry Stever, Family Roots

    When the Centennial Committee made a plea to the community to help us reclaim Holly history, Larry Stever responded in a big way. He shared photos, handwritten histories from his mom, and original newspaper articles regarding Holly.  When we wondered out loud about early courting and marrying, he produced a family tree that showed he’s related…

    Read more

  • Early Holly History Timeline – Centennial Party Display

    Early Holly History Timeline – Centennial Party Display

    1880: William Anderson is issued a homestead patent for Happy Valley (stretch of land from Anderson Bay up the old railroad tracks into the Valley now (1977) owned by the Warren Family. 1883: “Old” Anderson marries “Indian” Mary James on December 3rd in Happy Valley. 1889: Christian Fredrick “Fritz” Pfundt, his wife Catherin and 9…

    Read more