Our History

The Holly Schoolhouse

Nearly 100 years of history in the Holly, WA community.

The schoolhouse once a place of education, then serving as the Community Club and center of Holly life, tragically burned down in its centennial year. The schoolhouse has been a part of many lives, memories and is a special part of the local history of Holly.

  • The Howard Clark Baby Grand Piano

    The Howard Clark Baby Grand Piano

    The Schoolhouse baby grand piano, recently donated by the Howard Clark family in his memory, and tragically burned in the fire, is seen here played by Holly child Daisy Lerner at the Holly Christmas party of 2015.

    Read more

  • More Holly History

    More Holly History

    Excerpts from a historical text on the Holly area, submitted by Bill (William) Acheson.

    Read more

  • Holly’s First Schoolhouse Teacher

    Holly’s First Schoolhouse Teacher

    Miss Emma Gantke, pictured here, was the first teacher in the newly completed Holly School in 1922. Originally from Wisconsin, she taught across the Canal in Eldon before beginning her work in Holly. Miss Gantke, who never married, lived in the little cottage beside the school built for the teacher’s use. By all accounts, she was well-loved and much respected and admired. She retired from teaching in the mid-1930s and left Holly. Photograph donated by Marcie Roscoe.

    Read more

  • Holly’s Second School in 1905

    Holly’s Second School in 1905

    Holly’s second school was built in 1905 on land donated by Robert Wyatt Sr. The school was located on the north side of Holly, above Bourke’s Point. The dock and part of the roof of the Dance Hall can be seen glimpsed behind and below the schoolhouse. This facility was closed in 1922 when the new school (currently the Holly Community Club) was built. Photograph donated by Freida Wyatt.

    Read more

  • The Holly Schoolhouse 1922

    The Holly Schoolhouse 1922

    Pictured here is Holly School, now the Holly Community Club. It was built in 1922 on land donated by Albert Pfundt (This photo was taken that same year). An exact duplicate of schools built in Crosby & Seabeck, students attended grades 1st-8th here. They were bussed to Silverdale for 9th-12th.

    Read more

  • Class of 1897 | Dewatto Area School

    Class of 1897 | Dewatto Area School

    Dewatto Area School Class of 1897 – Miss Gibbs the teacher is standing beside her class, farthest right. Along with her class of 14 students.

    Read more

More content coming soon

Want to contribute? Find out how