The Howard Clark Baby Grand Piano
The Schoolhouse baby grand piano, recently donated by the Howard Clark family in his memory, and tragically burned in the fire, is seen here played by Holly child Daisy Lerner at the Holly Christmas party of 2015.
More Holly History
Holly’s First Schoolhouse Teacher
Miss Emma Gantke, pictured here, was the first teacher in the newly completed Holly School in 1922. Originally from Wisconsin, she taught across the Canal in Eldon before beginning her work in Holly. Miss Gantke, who never married, lived in the little cottage beside the school built for the teacher’s use. By all accounts, she was well-loved and much respected and admired. She retired from teaching in the mid-1930s and left Holly. Photograph donated by Marcie Roscoe.
Holly’s Second School in 1905
Holly’s second school was built in 1905 on land donated by Robert Wyatt Sr. The school was located on the north side of Holly, above Bourke’s Point. The dock and part of the roof of the Dance Hall can be seen glimpsed behind and below the schoolhouse. This facility was closed in 1922 when the new school (currently the Holly Community Club) was built. Photograph donated by Freida Wyatt.
Class of 1897 | Dewatto Area School
Dewatto Area School Class of 1897 – Miss Gibbs the teacher is standing beside her class, farthest right. Along with her class of 14 students.
Class of 1926 | Holly School
Holly School Class of 1926 – The teacher standing behind her class, farthest back, is Miss Gantke. Her class of 19 students stands ready for photo day.